Do-it-yourself: Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
One of the greatest indicators of the autumn season is the presence of pumpkin spice lattes at your local coffee shop. There’s nothing like a steaming cup of sweet and slightly spiced coffee to warm you up on a crisp fall morning.
Instead of spending your lunch money on a pricey latte at a coffee shop, try making your own at home. A do-it-yourself latte may sound intimidating, but it’s as easy as (pumpkin) pie. Preparing your own drink will not only save you money, but cut calories as well. Plus, you know exactly how much sugar you’re consuming.
This recipe uses pureed canned pumpkin instead of sugary syrup, so you’re actually getting nutrients from your pumpkin flavor! Pumpkin is a great source of vitamin A and is low in calories. The vanilla extract gives the drink a bit of sweetness and depth of flavor. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice at home, try adding a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom to spice it up. Use your choice of milk, and you’re on your way to a fabulous and delicious homemade pumpkin spice latte.
• 1 cup brewed dark coffee, or 1-2 shots of espresso
• ½ cup non-fat milk
• 3 tablespoons canned pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• Stevia, or sweetener of choice, to taste
1. Brew your coffee or espresso.
2. In a mug, combine the pumpkin and milk and heat in the microwave until warm.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the milk and pumpkin mixture. Stir well.
4. Sip and savor the flavor of fall!
Yield: 1 serving. Calories: 71.