Sneaky greens: no-bake avocado cheesecake
A healthier cheesecake? You’re not dreaming. It’s another hidden vegetable recipe for adults — even though avocados are technically considered fruit.
From fancy toast to smoothies, avocados are trending in the health world. That’s because these savory green gems are considered superfoods. They’re packed with essential vitamins and minerals like magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and zinc. You can also find enough fiber in avocados, especially ones from Florida, to help you hit your daily recommendation.
Avocados can contain more potassium than a banana and they’re loaded with fat. But don’t worry, it’s the healthy kind.
Starting tonight, you can make healthier dessert choices with this avocado lime cheesecake (serves eight):
For your avocado cheesecake crust, here are our top two healthiest options:
- Purchase a gluten free crust from your local health food store or make your own.
- Sprinkle healthy granola on top instead of using a crust for a more low-carb cheesecake recipe.
- 2 packages of low-fat cream cheese OR vegan cream cheese (8 ounces each) at room temperature
- 3 ripe avocados; peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 cup raw, organic honey
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 5 ounces cream of coconut
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Put cream cheese, avocados, honey, lime juice and zest into your food processor. Mix until smooth.
- Combine the cream of coconut and heavy cream and add to food processor. Mix all ingredients together until thickened.
- Pour mixture evenly into your gluten free pie crust, or place the ingredients into a serving dish and sprinkle with granola.
- Spray a piece of plastic wrap with non-stick spray and press directly onto the filling. This will help cover the cheesecake mixture and prevent avocados from browning.
- Place in refrigerator for eight to 12 hours until firm.
The chocolate drizzle
- 4 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Place chocolate and coconut oil into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at 15 second intervals until melted, stirring in between.
- Drizzle chocolate on the cheesecake or top with lime zest before serving.
You don’t have to feel guilty after dessert anymore. By making small changes for a healthier diet, it will be easier to keep neck and back pain under control. If diet and lifestyle changes haven’t improved your chronic neck or back condition, contact Laser Spine Institute for your free MRI review.*