It’s no joke … Humor can reduce pain
Anyone who knows me knows I love to have fun, and I love to laugh. Whether I’m on or off the course, I like to keep everyone smiling. But when it came to my back pain that was no laughing matter.
I can’t tell you how many years I suffered with chronic back pain before reaching out for help. I thought it would eventually go away on its own, with massages and other conservative treatments. Boy, was I wrong. My pain ended up going from bad to worse and before I knew it, it adversely affected my livelihood — my ability to play golf.
Thankfully, my easy-going nature and strong sense of humor helped me cope. And though back pain is still nothing to laugh about, I agree with the old motto that “laughter is the best medicine.”
According to a study from the Mayo Clinic, the positive effects of laughter include some big time benefits that could drastically improve your health. Here are the top-five reasons why you should always make laughter a part of your everyday life:
- Soothes tension — Laughter can stimulate your circulation and aide muscle relaxation — both of which help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress.
- Improves your mood — As a result of chronic illness, many people experience depression. The good news is laughter can help lessen it and your anxiety, making you feel that much happier.
- Activates and relieves your stress response — A hearty belly laugh can fire up then cool down your stress response resulting in that good, relaxed feeling.
- Improves your immune system — Did you know your negative thoughts can quickly become chemical reactions that adversely affect your body? Keeping yourself open to positivity and allowing lots of laughter releases neuropeptides that help fight off stress and other more serious illnesses.
- Relieves pain — Laughter can help your body to produce its own natural painkillers. It can also stop the pain-spasm cycle that’s common to some muscle disorders.
Learning to incorporate laughter and humor into my everyday routine has really worked wonders for my health and overall outlook on life. And thanks to the folks at Laser Spine Institute, I was finally able to take back my life from chronic and debilitating back pain.
To learn more about their minimally invasive spine procedures and how they could help you, call Laser Spine Institute today.